2026 August 9th - Afternoon Sermon Reflection:His Steadfast Love Has No End
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
His Steadfast Love Has No End
There are times when repetition gets on my nerves.
A song repeats the same line again and again, and somewhere in my head I start asking, Do we really need to sing this one more time?
Psalm 136 answers that question with a resounding yes.
The phrase “his steadfast love endures forever” is repeated twenty-six times. Not once or twice, but in every verse. At first, it can feel excessive. But maybe that is exactly the point.
We repeat what we are afraid to forget.
Life is full of things that change. Plans change. Circumstances change. People change. One day can feel peaceful, and the next can bring uncertainty, disappointment, or fear.
And somewhere in the middle of all that, I can forget what is actually constant.
Psalm 136 keeps bringing me back:
His steadfast love endures forever.
God's love is not merely a story from the past. It is not something that belonged only to Israel, or only to people in the Bible. The psalm moves from what God did in the past to what He is doing in the present—and ultimately to what He will continue to do in the future.
That changes the way I look at my own life.
When I look back, I can see God's faithfulness in ways I didn't recognize at the time.
When I look at today, I can remember that He has not forgotten me.
And when I look toward tomorrow, I don't have to know everything that will happen. I only need to know who will be there.
That may be one of the most comforting things about faith: I don't need certainty about my circumstances when I can have certainty about God's character.
The world around me can feel unpredictable. But God's love is not.
Psalm 136 gives us a rhythm to stand on:
Give thanks.
Again.
And again.
And again.
Not because every day is easy, but because God's love remains true on both the easy days and the difficult ones.
Maybe that is why I need the repetition.
Not because God needs reminding, but because I do.
When I am anxious, I need to remember.
When I am discouraged, I need to remember.
When life is going well and I start thinking I don't need God, I need to remember.
When I don't know what comes next, I need to remember.
His steadfast love has no end.
That is the bedrock.
And perhaps faith is partly learning to return to that bedrock, again and again, until the truth becomes deeper than our circumstances.
As Romans 8 reminds us, nothing can separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus.
So today, I don't need to have everything figured out.
I can simply give thanks.
For His love yesterday.
For His love today.
And for His love tomorrow.
His steadfast love endures forever.
❤️ Support This Blog
If this post helped you, you can support my writing with a small donation. Thank you for reading.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Comments
Post a Comment