A New Collection of Thoughtful Learning Apps — Now Available on iOS & Android

Image
I’m excited to share a set of mobile apps I’ve recently completed and published on both the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store. These apps are designed with a simple goal in mind: to make meaningful, structured content more accessible, whether you’re studying theology or improving your English vocabulary. 📱 Now Available on Both Platforms All apps are live and available for download: Google Play Developer Page: https://play.google.com/store/apps/dev?id=5835943159853189043 Apple App Store Developer Page: https://apps.apple.com/ca/developer/q-z-l-corp/id1888794100 📖 Theology & Confession Study Apps For those interested in Reformed theology and classical Christian teachings, I’ve developed a series of apps that present foundational texts in a clean, focused reading format: The Belgic Confession Canons of Dort Heidelberg Catechism Westminster Shorter Catechism Each app is designed to provide a distraction-free experience, making it easier to read, reflect, and revisit these im...

2026 August 23rd - Morning Sermon Reflection:When God Doesn't Change Your Circumstances: Trusting the Hands That Hold You

 

When God Doesn't Change Your Circumstances: Trusting the Hands That Hold You



There are times when we pray because we want God to change our circumstances.

We want the difficult situation to end.
We want the problem to disappear.
We want the uncertainty to become clear.
We want God to make everything better.

But what if sometimes God's answer is not to immediately change what is happening around us?

What if His work is to change us within the circumstances?

Psalm 138 gives us a beautiful picture of this kind of faith.

At the heart of the psalm is a simple but powerful confidence:

God will not let go of the work He has begun.

The Hands of God

The sermon begins with a beautiful image: God's hands.

We often think of strong hands as hands that build, protect, or carry heavy things. But the sermon invites us to imagine God's great and strong hands gently holding us.

Those hands created us.

Those hands brought us into life.

Those hands continue to shape us.

And those same hands hold us when we are weak.

Psalm 138 ends with the prayer:

“Do not forsake the work of your hands.”

The word “forsake” carries the idea of letting go. The image is therefore deeply personal: God is holding His people, and the psalmist is asking Him not to release His grip.

That changes the way I think about difficult seasons.

Sometimes I may feel as though I am barely holding on to God.

But perhaps the deeper truth is that God is the One holding on to me.

My faith may feel weak.

My emotions may change.

My circumstances may become frightening.

But God's grip does not depend on the strength of my grip.

God May Change Us Before He Changes Our Situation

One of the most meaningful ideas in this sermon is found in Psalm 138:3:

“On the day I called, you answered me; my strength of soul you increased.”

David prayed, and God answered.

But notice something important.

God's answer was not necessarily a change in David's circumstances.

Instead, God increased David's strength of soul.

This is something I often forget.

When I pray, I naturally want God to remove the problem.

But sometimes God gives me strength to walk through the problem.

Sometimes the miracle is not that the storm disappears.

Sometimes the miracle is that I discover I can keep walking because God is walking with me.

This does not mean that God is indifferent to our circumstances. It means that His work is sometimes deeper than changing what is happening around us.

He is changing who we are becoming.

What If Your Trouble Doesn't Mean God Has Left?

Psalm 138:7 says:

“Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life.”

I find the wording important.

David does not say, “Although I once had trouble.”

He says, “Though I walk in the midst of trouble.”

The trouble is still there.

Yet God is there too.

This challenges a common assumption: that if God is with us, our lives should become easy.

But biblical faith does not promise a trouble-free life.

It promises God's presence in the middle of trouble.

The sermon describes this with the image of God's two hands: one hand holding His child, while the other hand protects and delivers.

That is a powerful picture of Christian hope.

God is not merely waiting for us at the end of the road.

He walks with us on the road.

The Faith to Keep Walking

There are seasons when we may not feel God's presence.

We may pray and still feel anxious.

We may read Scripture and still have questions.

We may ask God for help and wake up the next morning to find that the problem is still there.

Does that mean God has abandoned us?

Psalm 138 says no.

David's confidence is not based on what he feels in the moment. His confidence is based on who God is.

God is faithful.

God keeps His promises.

God's steadfast love endures forever.

That means our confidence does not have to come from our circumstances.

It can come from God's character.

The God Who Finishes What He Starts

The final verse of Psalm 138 contains another remarkable statement:

“The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me.”

The sermon connects this idea with Philippians 1:6, where Paul says that the One who began a good work in believers will bring it to completion.

This gives me a different perspective on my own unfinished life.

I often see what is incomplete.

God sees what He is building.

I see weaknesses.

God sees transformation.

I see mistakes.

God sees a work that is still in progress.

I see today's difficulties.

God sees the final destination.

The Christian life is not a project that God begins and then abandons halfway through.

He finishes what He starts.

What Does This Mean When Life Feels Uncertain?

This message is especially meaningful during seasons when the future is unclear.

Sometimes we want God to give us the entire plan.

We want to know:

What will happen next?

How will this problem be solved?

When will things become easier?

What will my future look like?

But perhaps God is asking us to trust Him one step at a time.

We do not need to know everything that will happen tomorrow in order to trust the One who holds tomorrow.

The question becomes less:

“Do I know what is going to happen?”

and more:

“Do I trust the One who is holding me?”

The Hands That Hold Us Point to Christ

The sermon ultimately points beyond David to Jesus.

David experienced trouble, but Jesus entered into suffering in an even greater way.

Jesus was rejected.

Jesus suffered.

Jesus died.

But the Father did not abandon Him to death.

God raised Him from the dead and exalted Him.

This gives Christians the strongest reason for hope.

Our story does not end with suffering.

It does not end with weakness.

It does not end with death.

Because Christ was raised, those who belong to Him can trust that God is leading them toward resurrection and eternal life.

The hands of God that held Christ through death are the same hands that hold His people.

A Different Way to Pray

After reflecting on Psalm 138, I think our prayers can change.

Instead of only praying:

“God, please change my circumstances.”

we can also pray:

“God, strengthen my soul in these circumstances.”

Instead of:

“Please show me the entire future.”

we can pray:

“Give me enough faith to take the next step.”

Instead of:

“Why hasn't this problem disappeared?”

we can ask:

“What are You forming in me while I walk through it?”

These prayers do not mean that we stop asking God for deliverance.

David certainly asks God for deliverance.

But he also learns to trust God's presence while he waits.

He Will Not Let Go

Perhaps the greatest comfort of Psalm 138 is that our hope does not ultimately depend on how tightly we hold onto God.

It depends on how faithfully God holds onto us.

There will be days when our faith feels strong.

There will also be days when it feels weak.

There will be seasons when we can clearly see God's work.

There will be seasons when we cannot see anything at all.

But the promise remains:

The Lord will fulfill His purpose for His people.

He will not abandon the work of His hands.

He will continue to shape us, strengthen us, preserve us, and lead us until the work is complete.

So when life feels uncertain, I want to remember the image of those great, strong hands.

The hands that created me.

The hands that hold me.

The hands that protect me.

The hands that are still working in me.

And when I cannot see where the road is going, I can still take the next step.

Because I am not walking alone.

The Lord is holding me, and He will not let go.

❤️ Support This Blog


If this post helped you, you can support my writing with a small donation. Thank you for reading.


Comments

Popular Posts

Swagger annotations for API that allows downloading files as zip

2023, New Start! New AdSense Account! New Earnings!

Fix “A problem occurred starting process 'command node'” in Android Studio for React Native